Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sports Guy... The Relaunch Part II

So yeah, I blogged about a year and a half ago that I would be chronicling our family's journey to welcoming our twin boys into the world. Sadly, they were only with us a very short while and I've been doing my best to move our family forward ever since. This post isn't about our collective grief- we do miss them tremendously- it's about getting back to what inspired me to start blogging in the first place- SPORTS. Back when I was a student at Endicott College, I was an assistant editor for the school newspaper, The Endicott Observer, and that position morphed into me becoming sports editor. The new title inspired an editorial I called "The Sports Guy Speaks." I offered my take on everything around the world of sports, not caring how anyone felt about my opinion whatsoever. Ten years later, now with a 6-year-old busybody, I haven't been able to put in the time I felt I needed to get my opinion across. Being a teacher and a coach, along with it being my summer break, allows me to get back to blogging. With that being said, the Sports Guy speaks... again!! My inspiration for today's post came from a Facebook post from ESPN, who mentioned that Kobe Bryant felt that the '12 USA men's basketball team going to London in a couple weeks could beat the original Dream Team that blasted through Barcelona back in '92. Ummm, Kobe... REALLY?? You mean to tell me that this generation of "Big Three" wannabes could run circles around MJ, Magic, Larry, and their cast of Hall of Famers (Laettner excluded)?? Maybe you should be reminded of the fact that if they beat a team by 30 points or LESS, it was an off night!! There was better competition during their intrasquad scrimmages than there was during the entire Olympic tournament. Their opponents were more in awe of the fact that they were playing against legends, so they knew walking into the arena that they were gonna get blasted, and without mercy at that. My friend, you might want to take a closer look at your squad and reconsider that statement. No matter how many more NBA players are assembled to represent the USA at the Olympics, there will NEVER, EVER be another cast of superstars ever put together like the Dream Team. You had guys like Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Clyde Drexler coming off the bench!! Need a 3-pointer?? Chris Mullin could handle that if Bird wasn't on the floor. Need a huge rebound?? Patrick Ewing or the Chuckwagon at your service. These guys going across the pond couldn't hold a candle to that crew. If you couldn't figure it out, I may only be 32, but I'm old school. I grew up with the Dream Team. I don't care what anyone says about this latest group visiting Big Ben and the Queen. You can choose any squad you want from this generation, and I'm throwing the Dream Team on the table EVERY SINGLE TIME. So, Kobe, next time you make such a ridiculous statement, be careful what you say. I guarantee you that today's international squads are licking their chops to do nothing more than to take you guys out, and not lose any sleep doing it. Until next time...

No comments: