Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Olympic Spirit (I think)

So the Olympics have been going for just about a week now, and I can honestly say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the broadcasts, practically watching them all day every day. Between reading my Twitter timeline (@VBallCoachDoug for you tweeters) and my Facebook feed, I kept seeing everyone whining and complaining about how NBC aired events on tape delay and that results were already posted before the broadcasts even started. Honestly, I don't care that I see the results online before the broadcast because that's all they are- RESULTS. I am one of those people who enjoys seeing everything (well, mostly everything) unfold even if I already know what the results are. Last I checked, the previous two Summer Olympics were broadcast on tape delay and I don't recall hearing a peep from anyone. I even remember watching SportsCenter and the anchors warning us to change the channel if we didn't want to know the results. It didn't faze me one bit then, and it doesn't faze me one bit now. So, for all you whiners and complainers, if you can't appreciate viewing how events unfold, stick to the slow live online feed and I'll continue to enjoy the tape delay in my living room. Then there's Hope Solo. The goalie for the U.S. women's soccer team seems to have been outspoken from the second she left the womb. I remember her criticizing her teammate (and fellow goalie) Brianna Scurry years ago and being reprimanded by her coach. Back then she was on the lower end of the totem pole, so you know that didn't sit well with the veterans. Then, after Brandi Chastain, a former player known for her game-winning penalty kick in the '99 Women's World Cup and current analyst for NBC, criticized one of Solo's teammates last week, Solo took to Twitter to voice her displeasure for Chastain's comments. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people on this side of the pond when I say PUT A SOCK IN IT, SOLO!! I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not faulting her for speaking her mind. However, if I'm chosen to represent my country at the Olympics, you better believe I'm going to devote all of my energy and focus into competing at the highest level to give my team a chance at a gold medal, NOT complain on Twitter about an analyst's comments. I have even more respect for Chastain for deciding to move on from Solo's digital outburst and not igniting a war of words. If I were Solo's teammate, I'd sit her down and remind her of the reason why she's in London in the first place- and it's not to get busy in the Olympic Village after hours. Enjoy the London Games everyone!! Until next time...

No comments: